The next Regular Board Meeting of the Titusville-Cocoa Airport Authority will be held Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 8:30 a.m. at the Titusville-Cocoa Airport Authority Office at 355 Golden Knights Blvd., Titusville, FL
AIRPORT AUTHORITY ANNOUNCEMENTS
In 1943, the U.S. Government constructed the Titusville- Cocoa Airport on land jointly owned by both cities. The airfield included two 5,000 ft x 150 ft runways with an associated taxiway system. The U.S. Government developed the airport and its facilities to serve as a supplementary airfield to the Sanford Naval Air Station during World War II. The airport was built by the Civil Aeronautics Administration under the "Development of Landing Areas for National Defense" Program to help relieve other area military bases of training exercises required as a result of World War II. The government retained control of the airport throughout the duration of the war.
After the war, the U.S. Navy transferred the airport property and associated improvements to the War Assets Administration, which deeded the airport back to the Cities of Titusville and Cocoa by a Surrender of Lease and Quit Claim Deed dated April 18, 1947.
An airport authority was established by the Cities of Titusville and Cocoa to own, operate, improve, and maintain the airport.
The property was transferred to the authority by Quit Claim Deeds from the City of Titusville on March 14, 1961 and from the City of Cocoa on April 11, 1961.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration began development of the Missile Launch Complex on Merritt Island. The advantageous location of the airport allowed it to play an increasingly important role in the transportation of NASA personnel and equipment.
The "Titusville-Cocoa Airport District Act of 1963" created the Titusville-Cocoa Airport District and the Titusville-Cocoa Airport Authority ("Authority") to govern the operations of the airport facilities.
The Authority was created to service the local, commercial, and corporate aviation needs as well as to stimulate economic growth in the local communities. The Authority replaced the original airport authority established in 1959.
This legislation commissioned the Authority to govern the affairs of the Airport District, which currently includes Space Coast Regional Airport, Arthur Dunn Airpark, and Merritt Island Airport.
The 1963 Act established policies for the funding of Authority activities, including an ad valorem tax not to exceed 1_ mils on all taxable properties within the geographical bounds of the District. Also included was the authorization of the District to issue general obligation bonds and revenue bonds to finance the acquisition, construction, or development of airport property or facilities.
The current Titusville-Cocoa Airport Authority consists of seven members. Two members are appointed from Districts I, II, and IV, and one member is appointed at-large by the Board of County Commissioners of Brevard County
A History of Space Coast Regional Airport
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing. 321.267.8780
The Titusville-Cocoa Airport Authority is an Equal Opportunity Provider and Employer
Copyright © Titusville-Cocoa Airport Authority 2019